Thursday, November 08, 2007

Where did all the years go?

I spent several hours today touring our community college with our son T.J. who's a senior in high school. I've celebrated 18 birthdays with him and for the first time I seen him as a man and not a child. It seems like just yesterday we were playing at the park, going on adventures and reading bedtime stories. Now were getting info on graduation gowns and invitations and checking out college opportunities. I remember the day we brought him home from the hospital a little 5 lbs. 8 oz. bundle of joy, I had just turned 19 two days before and thought I had a lifetime to love and care for him and plan his future. Now the future that seemed so far away is here and I'm not ready for it. Touring the college today really put things in perspective, he's not my little boy anymore, he's grown up and ready to spread his wings and make his way in the world and its my job as a parent to guide him in that direction ~the open door to the big world~ but I'm not ready to let go. I was told when the kids were younger to "cherish the time you have with them cause they grow up so fast", truer words could not have been spoken, the past 18 years have flown by in an instant. One minute your holding this little baby your very heart itself in your arms and the next minute your helping him plan for the future he'll have away from you. I wish I had a rewind button I could keep rewinding back to when they were little and never really have to let go. Is it selfish to want just a little more time with your kids? I know the Lord kept Eric and I close to our hometown all these years for many reasons but one being that we have many options for colleges and trade schools within driving distance of our home, so T.J. can live at home and go to college. So he can have his independence and still have that security of being able to save money and not have to worry about bills. Is it wrong to want to give your child the tools to make it on their own and not just push them out the door. Is it wrong as a parent to want that extra time with them to say the goodnites and give hugs and guide them just that little extra bit so that when they do walk out your door their really ready. I know it will be hectic for him with college and work but at least he's home. I'm so glad he chose a school close to home. Not sure what me, his brother or the animals would have done if he would have chose to go off to school, brute force I quess.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Leann said...

its never easy to see kids grow up.and it does tug at your heart to let them go.but all parents know your raising a child to be able to be ready for this life. and if smart for the one to come.

you and Eric have tryed to teach them to be ready for both.they will be the men you raised them to be.
the time we all spent with them will be the thing they use to make choices.but it will be Jesus in their live,s that guides them when we arent able to be with them.
the thing I see is that a 18 year old still loves being with his family.he even loves to be with his NaNa.
that says more then you know.love for family is the glue that holds familys together.
I feel so darn old when I see the grandkids growing up so fast.but then when you and lucy were on your own I thought my life was over.
but then the Lord told me."enjoy the guiet now cause before ya know it the grandkids will come".

and they did and they run my tail off.so enjoy the guiet before the storm cause soon you will be busyer then you know.
remember some thing I learned a long time ago.
"a eagle cant be a eagle till he learns to fly".you have given your son all he needs to fly..
and he will do you proud.he may slip up now and then,but we all do before we find our wings and sore...
Love you Anna your work aint over yet my dear..and like you tell me your still needed...

9:46 AM  
Blogger Blondie said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I can relate to what you are going through. I will be facing this in another few years with both of my kids and I am not looking forward to it.
Your boys are so lucky to have such great parents. You both need to be proud of yourselves for providing the strong foundation you have for the boys. They will have the tools they need to go out into the world and pave their way.
I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for being such a great friend to me over the years. It is comforting to me that we have known eachother for so long and that if I ever need anything, all I have to do is just ask. Please know that if you want to talk or comisserate about our empty nests, I will always be here for you. Take care and GOD BLESS!

10:34 PM  
Blogger KG Finfrock said...

Where in the rule book does it say that you have to send your child to a college that is on the other side of the nation? What? It's not in the rule book? What do you mean there is NO rule book? (lol) To answer your question.. No, it is not wrong to allow your son to attend college and live at home the same time. Personally, I think it is prudent. Why pay for dorm rooms when you can live at home? What a waste of money! Education is the issue and at least you know your kid is getting that instead of participating in parties every weekend.
You don't ever let them go. It's just like a little break, a vacation of sorts, and then God provides grandchildren and you get to start all over.
Hugs. I know. It still hurts.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

leann, blondie, Kathy thanks girls for your words of comfort, I was feeling alittle blue about the kids growing up, and someday leavin the nest. But the thought of someday having grandchildren makes it alittle better. Thanks again girls, luv ya!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<